Tuesday 8 October 2013

Delirium by Lauren Oliver - Review

MAY CONTAINS SPOILERS


"Delirium" is a book about love and what if it was a disease? Lena Haloway is at peace with her safe, government-managed society and is counting down to the day she turns 18, which is when she will be cured of deliria. However 95 days before her cure, Lena meets Alex. A confident and mysterious young man, who makes her heart flutter and her skin turn red-hot. As their romance blossoms, Lena begins to question the intentions of the Government and fears her life will become dull if she goes through with the procedure.

In "Delirium", when the citizens of Portland reach 18 they must have the procedure which cures them of their amor deliria nervosa, or love as we call it. Their ability to feel emotions towards anyone will be removed and they are then matched with someone, which they then must go on and live a loveless life. The Government believe that love is a disease and the worst to contract, which is why everyone must have the procedure, to eradicate deliria. They strongly believe that it is better to just exist and not remember what it feels like to feel passion, pain or heartbreak then to live a life where you feel those emotions.



I was recommended "Delirium" by a friend and when I read the blurb and a few reviews I felt hopeful that I would enjoy this book. When I started reading, I found the whole concept of love being a disease hard to wrap my head around, as I believe love is such a beautiful emotion which sparks passion and heartbreak, and to feel love you must also feel pain. However, as I read on I grew to appreciate the different concept on love and it being a disease, because sometimes love does feel like an illness, for example, when your grieving over an ended relationship or death.

My favourite part of "Delirium" was when Alex and Lena were in Alex's roof-less trailer in the Wild and Alex starts reading poetry to Lena, which happens to be the first time she's ever heard poetry. This part made me really appreciate poetry as being a beautiful piece of writing that can bring two people  closer together.

I would recommend "Delirium" to anyone who likes a love story which is also a quick and enjoyable read. Overall, I give this books 3 out of 5 stars.
 ★ ★

No comments:

Post a Comment