Friday 1 November 2013

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover - Review

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

One day I browsing on Booktopia and adding books to my shopping cart, when two particular book covers caught my attention, it was Hopeless and Losing Hope by Colleen Hoover. I'm not sure what it was about these covers that caught my attention, however they drew me in and I'm glad for it. Obviously I added Hopeless to that particular shopping cart, so once it arrived I got to reading it straight away and I honestly couldn't put it down! 

Hopeless is about Sky, a senior in high school, meets Dean Holder, a guy who has a reputation and right from their first encounter he terrifies and captivates her. Seeing Holder sparks memories from Sky's troubled past, a time she's tried so hard to keep buried. Sky is determined to stay away from Holder, although his persistence and mystifying smile begin to brake down her resistance and the bond between them grows immensely. However Holder has been keeping secrets from Sky and once their revealed, Sky's life is changed forever. Courageously facing these harsh revelations, Sky and Holder hope to heal their emotional wounds and find a way to live and love without boundaries.


My favourite part in Hopeless is in the chapter on page 205, it's right after Jake's little brother integrates Holder about being a hypocrite and calls Sky a slut. Sky forces Holder get out of the cafeteria before a fight breaks out and takes him to his car, where he breaks down in front of her, letting all this built up anger towards his sister suicide out. I particularly like this part because you get to see Holders vulnerable side and it made me feel sorrow for him and what he must of gone through when Les died. 

I really enjoyed Hopeless because it is a true and honest story. Colleen Hoover covered some very heavy subjects, these being sexual assault , suicide and abduction. However she covered these subjects with such grace that the story didn't come across confronting. I would recommend Hopeless by Colleen Hoover to adults or mature young adults because of these subjects. This novel will leave you breathless, mesmerised and remembering your own first love. Overall, I give Hopeless by Colleen Hoover 5 out of 5 stars! 
 ★ ★ ★ ★

No comments:

Post a Comment