Saturday 30 November 2013

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi - Review

May Contain Spoilers

I was scrolling through Goodreads one day when this cover jumped out at me. I didn't really care if the book wasn't any good, all I knew was that the cover was beautiful and I had to buy it. Once I read the blurb I was more intrigued because this book sounded like books I was normally interested in. Also as I researched more into this book I discovered that it was a part of a trilogy and the covers were just as beautiful. So you could see why I was dying to read Shatter Me.



Juliette hasn't touched anyone in 264 days. This is because inside her she has this curse gift, that bring death pain to anyone she touches. The last time she touched someone she was only trying to help and  it was an accident. No one knows why Juliette's touch is so fatal, so the Reestablishment lock her away in an asylum, so there are no other casualties caused by her curse gift. However one day Juliette gets a roommate and its soon discovered that this roommate is in the army and the Reestablishment have plans to use her as a weapon in a near future war. Juliette now has to make a choice to become a weapon or to become a warrior and fight for her freedom. 

One of my favourite things about Shatter Me is Tahereh Mafi's way of writing. It was sort of unusual because of the use of strike outs and numbers. I found this way of writing to be very interesting because through the strike outs you got to see self-doubt Juliette felt. An example of this is on the back of the book where is says 

I have a curse.

I have a gift.

I'm a monster.

I'm more than human.

My touch is lethal.

My touch is power.

I am their weapon.

I will fight back. 

Another one of my favourite things in Shatter Me was the end of the book. I have to admit was did not get interested in the book until the last few chapters when you find out there was this underground community filled with people who have gifts, just like Juliette. I'm not quite sure why this particularly information drew me in because it is quite stereotypical throughout dystopian stories. 

I would recommend Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi to everyone who enjoys dystopian stories like The Hunger Games. Overall, I enjoyed this book and I give it 3 out of 5 stars.
 ★ ★

No comments:

Post a Comment