Friday 8 November 2013

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin - Review

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS


When I received The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, I had no idea what to expect, for the reason that the synopsis was very vague. But what truly stood out for me was the eerie yet exquisite cover and its title which left me dumbfounded. I got the feeling that The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer would be very different compared to most YA's out today. And oh boy, I was right! It is a very dark and chilling story, which resulted sometimes in myself receiving shivers shooting up my spine.


The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is about a girl, Mara Dyer, who has just survived a horrific freak accident, one where her three closest friends weren't so lucky and to make matters worse she can't remember a single thing from that night. So to help cope with the stress, she convinces her family to uproot their lives in Rhode Island and move to Florida. However the past has a way of following you no matter where you run. So when Mara starts to remember what happened that night and question whether or not she had some involvement in this freak accident, the last thing she expected was to fall in love.


My favourite part in this book happens to be at the start of the book in the first chapter when Claire, Rachel and Mara were using the Ouija board and Rachel asks how she will die. The spirit then moves the piece under the girls hands to M, A, R and back to A then it stops. This scene happens to be the moment I know I would love this story, and because of that it is my favourite part. This scene sets the whole mood for the book, which is dark and eerie. It also shows the relationship between the three girls. 

I would recommend The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer to anyone who like dark stories which are different to your typical YA books out today. It is a great story which you will devour yet will still have unanswered questions at the end. Overall I give this book 4 out of 5 stars
 ★ ★ ★

No comments:

Post a Comment