Sunday 29 December 2013

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green - Review

CONTAINS SPOILERS


Oh my, oh my, oh my. This book tore me to pieces and broke my heart. I started The Fault in our Stars after finished Looking For Alaska and I just didn't get the whole hype surrounding that book. However I decided I'd give John Green one last chance and picked up TFIOS... I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I finished the book in four days and right from the first chapter I was hooked, my addiction to this book was something I had never experienced before and I guess it started my interest into Young Adult Realistic Fiction novels. 

The Fault in our Stars is about a girl named Hazel, a 16 year old who has stage four Thyroid Cancer. Thanks to the tumour-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel's cancer has always been terminal. She regularly attends Cancer Kid Support Group but finds it unimaginably boring until the day a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly turns up. 


The Fault in our Stars is not a "cancer" book. There is Hazel, who is refreshingly real, she has this way of saying things which would normally sound horribly sad, but John Green writes her words so it almost sounds humorous. One of my favourite quotes from Hazel is "I didn't tell him that the diagnosis came three months after I got my first period. Like: Congratulations! You're a woman. Now die." and another favourite quote is "my lungs suck at being lungs." Then there is Augustus, who desperately wants to leave a lasting impression on the world, and oh boy did he ever (in the real world). This book is extremely real and raw, especially in relation to the diseases. There is not one ounce of sugar coating in this book because cancer is ugly and unpleasant and John Green makes the readers see this. 


I can't even tell you what my favourite part of this book is, so I'll tell you about the moment I knew this was my favourite book. I always thought Hazel was the one who was going to die and I had prepared myself for that before I first started to read the book. What I did not expect was that Augustus was the one who was going to die. Screw you John Green! I got this feeling deep in the pit of my stomach that something was going to happen right before Hazel, Hazel's mum and Augustus left for Amsterdam, then as the book moved on, this feeling I was feeling kept resurfacing until it was confirmed and I read the line that broke my heart "I lit up like a Christmas Tree, Hazel Grace...". Then from that moment onwards I was in and out of streams of tears and I've never been the one to cry throughout a book. 


I don't even know who to recommend this too because you all should of read it by now. And if you're saying that you haven't, then what have you been doing with your life. Go out and bloody buy this book and get to it!! Overall I rate this book 6 out of 5 stars, because it is that incredible! 

No comments:

Post a Comment