Saturday 28 December 2013

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher - Review

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

I remember what I thought when I read the blurb of the book, it was "I must get my hands on this book!". Thirteen Reasons Why was my most anticipated book to read. My friend and I decided to read it at the same time, so I had to wait until she got the book which took months. So by the time we started reading it, I had this overly built up excitement and high expectations for the book. Now it wasn't that I didn't find this book interesting, because I did, it was just that when I finished the book I was left feeling... nothing really. 

Thirteen Reasons Why is about a boy named Clay Jensen and one day he returns home to find an unknown box with his name on it lying on his front porch. When he opens it he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by the one and only Hannah Baker. His old classmate/crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier. On these tapes Hannah explains the thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life, and Clay is one of them. He has no idea why but if he listens, he'll find out how he made Hannah's list.



Ever since I read Thirteen Reasons Why there was something I just couldn't get out of my head, and that was a main point made throughout the book. This being that you will never know how much of an impact you may have on the lives of others, and even though your actions may seem like nothing to you, they could mean a hell of a lot to others. I found this point to be really reflective and that is why I like to read books like Thirteen Reasons Why, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, The Fault In Our Stars, A Walk To Remember, etc. because they make you look at the world and your life. 

There is a YouTube channel with the recorded tapes which are in the book, you can find them here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Hannahsfriend13/videos
There is also a blog companioning to the novel, you can find that here: http://hannahsreasons.blogspot.com.au

I would suggest Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher to anyone because not matter what the negatives are with the book there is also a solid point which is relative to every day life and I think everyone should learn it. Overall I give this for 3 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment